Hargraves is a small rural town located 42km south-west of Mudgee. Although quiet in appearance, the town features a rich and interesting historical background and supports an active and progressive population. Many local families have worked on the land here since early settlement days, and the area is well known for its fine wool and gold deposits.
Hargraves’ part in the Gold Rush history is recalled by the old stamper that stands in the village park. An area for gold panning is next to the bridge over Louisa Creek. Hargraves is often referred to as the veteran of the region’s gold towns. The gold rush began there in 1851 with the discovery of the famous ‘Kerr’s Hundredweight’, a nugget which contained 1,272 ounces of gold. The General Store offers gold pans and other equipment – contact them on 02 6373 8540.
Hargraves features a general store/post office and petrol station, as well as an active primary school which was established in 1856. The district’s residents and bushland are protected by the Hargraves Rural Fire Service and there is an active Pony Club which meets on a regular basis. Local residents are also keen participants in the regional cricket competitions and are the current cup holders.