Easter Sunday will be falling on the last day of March this year, and as it’s a little earlier than usual we’re finding that it’s sneaking up on us all a bit too quickly. While many are out battling the supermarket queues in search of great eggs for family and friends, we know others here in Mudgee and around the world are celebrating Easter with their own special traditions.
While many of us may think of Easter as an opportunity to have a holiday from school or work and pig out on chocolate, it’s also a holiday with a long tradition and history behind it, and it’s celebrated in many different ways around the world.
Easter eggs are decorated and hung from tree branches in Germany, while in Croatia and Slovenia an Easter basket is prepared with bread, ham, horseradish, coloured eggs and potica. Swedish families serve up a traditional feast on Easter Saturday with herring, salmon, potatoes and eggs all making the menu, and bonfires are also lit during Holy Saturday making it a huge event.
Here in Mudgee, families often enjoy decorating eggs, indulging in Easter egg hunts, munching on hot cross buns and spending time with loved ones during the break. If you’d like to get out and about, here are a few local events that caught our eye and might interest you:
- Free outdoor event – Cold Play Tribute Show performing at Club Mudgee from 7.30pm
- Easter Bike Muster (over 4 days) at AREC
- Mudgee Races starting at 1pm at Mudgee Racecourse
- Rabbit Races from 11am and live music from 5pm at Gulgong Bowling Club
- Easter Sunday BBQ at Gooree Park Wines from 12-3pm
- Dan Brown and Dan Hull performing live at Mudgee Brewing Company from 4.30-7.30pm
If you know of other great Mudgee Easter events, please share them here, and let us know how you’ll be spending this Easter in Mudgee.