It’s probably not something that you think of often, the safety of your roof, but it’s something that shouldn’t be ignored. Something as minor as a cracked tile or loose sheeting can cause major problems throughout your home if it’s not properly cared for.
Your home’s roof require a little bit of maintenance from time to time, and depending on the condition and age of your roof, now might be the time to hire a roofing contractor to make sure your roof is up to scratch. Here are a few things you might need to check:
- Clean out leaves and other debris from your gutters, then rinse away remaining dirt. Avoid clogging your drain pipes by ensuring you have as much cleared out as possible first.
- Trees (and pests that access your roof via trees) can add to the deterioration of your roof, so make sure you trim back trees and branches that hang over your roof regularly.
- Look for mould and moss build-up on your roof and remove it with a special moss removal solution. Once treated, you should be able to remove future moss or mould by simply brushing the roof with a long-handled broom.
- Look out for curled or damaged tiles. Not maintaining roof tiles can cause all kinds of issues in bad weather.
- Check the sealing of your roof tiles. Unsealed tiles absorb rain water and add to the weight that your house frame and foundation have to uphold.
- For tin or corrugated iron rooves, check that bolts are tight and sheeting isn’t corroded.
- Check that the flashing around pipes and other exterior protrusions from your roof is sealed and not loose.
It’s vital that you take all safety precautions if undertaking any roof maintenance yourself. Our advice would be to contact the professionals in the roofing industry so that you know all bases are covered and your roof is in tip top condition.